Monday, December 24, 2007

LeeP.

My 2007 sailed along calmly, uneventfully, dully. Judging from past Christmas letters, it's the kind of year I've been hoping for lo these many eons, and yet, now that the doldrums have descended, I'm not sure I'm content with peace and routine. It's time to shake things up.





There. I flipped the radio from FM to AM. That will cause some discomfort.





My years as a freelance artist and writer are slowly slipping into the misty lanes of my memories. Unfortunately, what I did yesterday is similarly fading, but my point is that my career has taken a turn. I am, for better or worse---good for me, bad for my customers---a handyman.





In case it isn't obvious, these different careers don't easily and naturally flow from one into the other. As a writer, you might misplace some notes, but while you shuffle papers a thought of crystal clarity might pop into your mind. As an artist, you may misplace a pencil, but a few moments of searching can aid the image in your mind to take on form. Writing and drawing are cloud-like, creative endeavors based on ideas, which can be aided by a mind that takes its time to wander.





But as a handyman, if you lose your hammer, you lose effectiveness and profitibility. If you lose concentration on a ladder, you fall. The handyman world is concrete, with well-defined lines and harsh realities. You can't pound a nail with an unaimed thought.





Needless to say, my genes are at war with themselves. I need the super efficient Sauer gene to dominate, but the gentler, easily-distracted Wasbotten gene-----oh, look. There's a squirrel----.................





I'm sorry. I forgot what I was talking about.





Anyhoo, work is a challenge.





I have one artistic project underway: this next year (2008) will mark the 20th anniversary of my Recyclone cartoon. For those who don't know, I drew a cartoon from 1988 to 1992 and it was published in the Auburn Evening Star. (In 1989, I developed the strip into a live show and gave school programs until 2000.) Anyhoo, I'm collecting the 100 or so Recyclone cartoons in a book, which I will self publish. I hope to get it out in late summer.





Enough of this nostalgic peek back at our past year. Time to get back to work.





Anyone seen my hammer?

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Hi Lee,

Great newsletter.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your family. The girls are beautiful and getting so big.

I hope you don't give up your writing and cartooning. You are definitely talented in that area.

Take care,

Gretchen

Unknown said...

LEE!!!

I found your hammer....

It's right beside this can of beer I have waiting for you in Columbus.

Come with or without the kids,

steve gentile(Compadre!)